28 January 19: Methodology and methods

Methodology: an over-arching approach to research, strategy (war)
Method: a tool used to answer your research question and or collect data (battle)

I’m really pleased to be working with Adam, a knitwear designer and practitioner based in Paris, and Glen, a theatre designer based at Wimbledon in our re-configured group.
We were assigned to research the Narrative enquiry methodology from the following list:
Case study
Ethnography
Auto-ethnography
Practise based research
Narrative enquiry
Action research

All the groups researched their own topic and posted the three most salient points from available books and online searches on a Padlet page. It was really useful to promote discussion in an informal manner, being able to consult books and online research to create knowledge collaboratively, and such an elegant place to collate the results.
We found the reference FQS Qualitative social research website very useful.

Having heard feedback from the groups and read their summaries, I thought that practice based research and possibly auto-ethnography would be relevant methodological approaches to investigate my question.  Why would I choose these approaches?

“the justification for the choice of any specific strategy must depend on having a clear vision of the particular purpose for which it is being used. Unless we know what the research is trying to achieve it is impossible to judge whether it is likely to be useful or appropriate.”
(Denscombe, 2010, p5)

I anticipate that Lorraine and Julia’s descriptions of Practice based research dovetails into my question, in particular:
“Understanding different practices using one’s own practice to contrast and compare”, and “Knowledge transfer between different fields within an academic research framework” – and in a way the description of practice based research IS also what it is for.

Drawing and Visualisation
I am assuming that video can be part of this method, though Sharon, Nicola, Nicolas had this as a question in their summary.

Our cohort of students will be collaborating with another MA course, and utilising texts from both arenas, I can seek out nodes of similarity or spaces of difference. Perhaps moiré is a visualisation of what might happen where two patterns / fields are overlaid but have a different angle / disjunction.

As I was thinking about the narrative threads in the storylines of both practices and where they intersect, a shared node. If the 2D linear structure of storytelling in film and the curvilinear structure of VR 3D were transparent patterns overlaid with each other – a Moire pattern a third unpredictable pattern may emerge. As I was thinking about this in my kitchen my colander and sunlight gave me the perfect illustration of shape moire.. in the analogue world line moire occurs when two grids intersect, though there are many instances of moire in the digital world too. Here’s a reference that describes the many instances of moiré .

As I’m thinking of geometry I think about clothing and Adam’s work in knitwear. I love the Missoni 50s Italian zig zag patterns and these patterns have then to become dimensional in their design when worn. Perhaps we can discuss these kinds of thoughts. He referred to a text The Ecological University: A Feasible Utopia Ronald Barnett, Routledge as an inspirational reference.

See the link to the video I recorded.
I don’t know if this moiré metaphor will hold on the road of research but as an example of imaging the idea I am considering it to be visual research.

Auto-ethnography would also be a useful way to approach the subject in order to track my own learning and record the evolution of this experimental work by the two student cohorts.  At the same time it would encompass the reflection requirement of the study.

“it is about being both outward and inward looking on the part of the researcher”.
Definition researched by: Yi, Max, Beth and Stella.

Methods:
Interviews are a staple method of enquiry for documentary film, but I’m not investigating that directly in my question, though it might be an obvious way to collect data from students involved in the collaborative project.

References:
FQA: Forum: Qualitative Research Available at: www.qualitative-research.net/ Accessed: 28 January 2019).

Moiré pattern Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern (Accessed 2 Feb 2019).