4 February: Presenting my project

I shared my ideas so far with my two fellows and our tutor.

I’d started with sharing the setting up my workflow page with the skeleton of the required elements for submission, so I could remember what the goal was while wandering through the research process.

I described how after our last session on Methods and Methodology, I’d been thinking about visualisation methods and the two disciplines involved in my enquiry, documentary film and 360 VR film.  I’d been thinking of them as two distinct lattices of information, yet one having another dimension, and the possibility of intersections between them.  I walked into my kitchen and had seen the sun shine projecting through the colander on the washboard, a moire pattern, which to me was a serendipitous visualisation of the possibility of new knowledge created in the intersections / spaces between the two disciplines. Just like moiré patterns, the creation of new knowledge can’t be anticipated, the pattern that is generated can’t be controlled.

moire clip 

I shared my blog pages with them too. After using this format last year I found the reflective platform really useful way to develop thoughts, helps me keep track of what’s happened in the course, and show the stages of work I’ve addressed so far:  but I’ve kept the posts private until I got some feedback and sharpened the writing.

My current version of my research question:

• How does 360degree VR filmmaking impact on Documentary Storytelling is based on a collaboration between MA DF MA VR and the Independent Film Trust and Michael Groce.

It’s always good to get feedback, but you have to evaluate it too, for what is useful to you.  As it’s still early, well it feels early in the process for me, I am somewhat uncertain about it all. I don’t know how or if to sharpen or change my question and I’m confused and surprised at how it makes me feel despondent.

So, after a few days  I return to Curran to refocus on documentary storytelling:

“A documentary story may begin as an idea, hypothesis, or series of questions based on real world people and events

It’s a conceptual process that starts with an idea, continues to be applied, and re-applied as a project is shot and edited, conceived and re-conceived, structured and re-structured creative arrangement without sacrificing the factual”

Using familiar storytelling elements I’d like to see how these intersect in between the disciplines.

• Identifying a topic responding to the workshop we did 21 Jan utilising the 5 whys and the mind map
  • Storytelling in documentary film and virtual reality
  • Methodology and methods
  • Action plan
  • Research ethics

____________________________________________________________

Bernard, S. C. (2011] Documentary Storytelling: Creative non-fiction on screen (3rd ed.)  Amsterdam ; Focal Press